INSTRUCTIONS FOR CARDIAC CATHETERIZATION
AT PARMA HOSPITAL
- If your procedure is scheduled before 12:00 PM, you must not eat or drink anything after midnight the night before. However, please take your medications as you normally would, with small sips of water (unless otherwise ordered by your physician). If you are on diabetic medications, blood thinners or water pills, please check with your physician for special instructions or dosage.
- If your procedure is scheduled at 12:00 PM or later, you may have a light breakfast consisting of coffee, tea or juice and toast before 7:00 AM. Take nothing by mouth after 7:00 AM with the exception of your medications.
- Please bring all of your medications to the hospital with you in their original containers.
- The day of your procedure, please DO NOT wear any of the following items: jewelry, nail polish, contact lenses.
- Please take the elevator to the first floor and follow the signs to the Heart Center. The cardiac cath lab is located just before the Heart Center on the left. Please let the secretary know you have arrived and she will take you to the holding area.
- Following your procedure, you will recover for approximately 4 - 8 hours. PLEASE ARRANGE FOR A FAMILY MEMBER OR FRIEND TO DRIVE YOU HOME. If you have angioplasty or a stent you will stay in the hospital overnight.
- The day before the procedure, a staff member from the cath lab will call you to review these instructions.